Number of children abused in the U.S annually. Comparing the national rounded number of victims from FFY 2019 (656,000) to the national rounded number of victims in 2020 (618,000) also shows a decrease.
Of alleged abusers are related in some way to the child victim
Children who received a child protective services investigation response or alternative response decreased from 3,476,000 for federal fiscal year (FFY) 2019 to 3,145,000 for FFY 2020.
Estimated # of children who died from abuse and neglect in the US in 2020, a national estimate of 1,750
The FFY 2020 data show three-quarters (76.1%) of victims are neglected, 16.5 percent are physically abused, 9.4 percent are sexually abused, and 0.2 percent are sex trafficked.
- One in five girls and one in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse.
- Self-report studies show that 20% of adult females and 5-10% of adult males recall a childhood sexual assault or sexual abuse incident.
- Every nine minutes, child protective services substantiates or finds evidence for a claim of sexual abuse.
- In Fiscal Year 2016 alone, Child Protective Services agencies either substantiated or found strong evidence to indicate that 57,329 children were victims of sexual abuse.
- One in 9 girls and one in 53 boys under the age of 18 experience sexual abuse or assault at the hands of an adult.
- 82% of all victims under 18 are female.